Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Do these pants make me look big?

Apparently, yes. I went to the doctor today and did not get great news. DON'T WORRY!!! The baby is fine...his heart rate is steady and we have a routine ultrasound in 2 weeks. But back to me- the doctor is a bit concerned with my weight gain. I joked with her that I was too...nobody really likes to gain a bunch of weight even if it is for a good reason, right?

Basically she said that she was hoping my weight gain would taper off or plateau a bit by this point, but I keep adding a couple of pounds each visit. Currently I am still in the healthy range of weight gain for a pregnancy, however I am only in the first week of my 3rd trimester...which means there is definitely more weight in my future. Nuts.

She recommended I follow a diabetic diet- not "diet" like limiting food intake for weight loss but "diet" like a particular selection of foods. The foods are basically more protein and veggies, fewer carbs and fruits. But I love fruit!!! I eat a can of peaches almost every day...I can't get enough. And a good ole' starchy potato or pasta is always what I fall back on when nothing else sounds good or I am too tired to think of something else to make. It isn't that I hate meat, it is just harder to snack on and such.

My belly keeps measuring right on, so it isn't like I am way too huge I guess...just really heavy. But I am still running 3 mornings a week and walking the other days- I thought that might help a little, but I guess not. I am just frustrated because I thought this was going to be the one time in life when I wouldn't worry too much about my weight and now it seems like it is more the focus than before I was pregnant. And lets not forget that the holidays are coming up- egg nog, pumpkin pie, and peppermint ice cream...oh my!

So I don't know what to do. I don't want to completely ignore my doctor's recommendations, however if my weight isn't affecting the baby and it is just that it is more to loose later, then let me worry about that when that time comes. But it is also silly and selfish of me to continue eating what I want if there is something that is really better for the baby.

Anywho, I haven't come to any conclusions yet...I have just kinda had a bad day and needed to vent about it. My hair was having some major flyaways this morning and I just started breaking out and I didn't feel that fabulous anyway...and then I get told I am a chunk at 9am...not the best way to start out a day! (By the way: I tried to treat myself with a little retail therapy...some new black flats and some tights...because when I wore my regular ones last week and bent over I got a run in the buttocks region. Hmmm...maybe my doctor is right!)

4 comments:

Callie said...

that is hilarious about your tights. I know you'll be fine with everything that is happening. We all have bad days, at least they are only days and not weeks or months!

alee said...

The tights experience was pretty funny :)

alee said...

Oops...that comment was supposed to be from NIck

Sarah said...

I'm sorry things were so discouraging at your appointment. Growing a baby is hard work and it stinks to have weight gain as another worry along with everything else you're trying to do/not do.

With Evelyn I gained more than I had thought I would but my doctor was more of the mentality "well it'll be more to lose later but it's still in the normal range so it's okay." My grandmother was more of the one to freak out on me to make sure I wasn't gaining too much - she had MANY problems late in pregnancy because of her weight gain and wanted me to avoid it. I think she got preeclampsia (which might have caused the weight gain?) and had to be on bedrest by the end of pregnancy. Maybe your doctor has lots of patients with pregnancy problems and wants you to be cautious?

One thing that my doctor highlighted about pregnancy is that your body tries to retain and use any calories you take in - not the "normal" eat/burn stuff. Now I'm not sure how that works metabolically, but it helped to think like anything I ate was going to be a part of my body or my baby and not be burned off. Do I want a pizza body or an apple/PB body? It helped!

In the end I did drop most of the weight pretty quickly and then the rest took a WHILE, but that was probably due to thyroid issues I was having postpartum. Feel free to email me if you want to know more about that emotional/physical unpleasantness. =) Good luck, Alex!