Friday, September 30, 2011

Off

Today has been one of those "off" days. You know, for whatever reason you are just...for lack of a better term, off. Ugh.

For one thing- as shallow as it may be- I am having a really difficult time with my hair right now. It totally got this weird kink thing on the right side in the back after pregnancy that I am not sure how to deal with plus it isn't really in a style right now...no layers, no bangs, no anything...just in "grow it out" mode. And not that hair is so important, but when it is pulled up wet there is just no way that I am going to feel fabulous and then everything else in the day is affected. Yes, please notice that I used "affected" and not "effected"...it is one of my biggest grammar pet peeves. Anywho, I tried a center part to shake things up (wild, I know) but plan to get it cut soon...one of these days when I can sneak away from Leo for an hour and hair cutting businesses are still open. Tricky, I know.

Aside from the hair, I'm still adjusting to this new post-baby body (more body that is less toned...ugh) and the fact that the last thing I want to do when Leo goes down for a nap in the morning is take the precious time to "get ready". For what anyway? My seemingly daily trip to HEB? (No it isn't every day, but it feels like it! Oh, and HEB is a great grocery store for those of you not lucky enough to live in Tejas.) It seems pointless to get ready each day when all I do is roll around on the floor with Leo, get a drink at Sonic, or do laundry. However at the same time I can totally tell that I feel better when I am put together...oh the irony.

I'm still adjusting to life as a mom too...I mean how it is possible to be so busy and so bored all at the same time? Life is so monotonous however if it isn't than I wish it was. Again, notice the "than" instead of the "then"...another grammar pet peeve. (If nothing else, you can at least get a grammar lesson out of reading this whiney post.) I crave adult conversation and just want to talk to Nick when he gets home, but he usually has a list longer than mine of things to do and so he hardly has time to shoot the breeze and recap my every epiphany of the day. I know I should break into the mommy circle, but my reason for being a mom naps during the play group times around here and so I am stuck with my moment with the HEB cashiers for adult company.

I'd be aggressive in making friends (even though it is way outside of my comfort zone) and invite someone over...but to do what? Watch House Hunters while I eat Ramen? That is why roommates were great...built-in friends. And it is why husbands are great too...except for that whole making-a-living thing that gets in the way. Plus our apartment is fine but it is small and there isn't much room for company. Sigh.

So today was an "off" day. Boo hoo. Not too much to do about it except try again tomorrow...and complain a little bit on here since it is my blog and I can at least pretend in my head that there are other adults out there reading this that are my "friends". And don't worry...the pity party can't last long when you are the mom and more upbeat posts and pictures of Leo are soon to come! :)

3 comments:

Katie Lewis said...

Call ME! I have been about to call you (just to chat) for like the past month. I have got to stop being so lazy and just look up your number. It's still the same, right?

Also, I totally agree with you about everything you've said. Except for having to pretend that friends read your blog. I really do!

Miss you lots.

Love (spelled out in roomates with me in that stupid green sweater--why did you ever let me wear that?),
Katie

nick said...

I do like hearing about your day, I promise!

kellebelle said...

I'm sorry, I know how these days go, too... from the bad hair to the adult interaction. Although, like Katie, I really do read and enjoy your blog!

I am especially bad about being social, but some of the interactions that have helped me the MOST are just inviting someone / being invited over for lunch. It doesn't have to be fancy, but especially if you can find another mom, she'll most likely be thrilled to get out and visit with you, too. Remember that you now also have built-in entertainment -- Leo -- and if you can find someone else with a kiddo then you can just call it a "play date" (at home, at the park, whatever) and you adults can sit and talk while the kids play. It doesn't have to be any more than that, and it is still a reason to get ready for the day.

Good luck! I hope this week is better!!

P.S. I love that you care about grammar... grammar mistakes rank really high on my pet peeve list, too! :)