Thursday, July 31, 2008

Blogging Break

I am taking a break to blog...I have been hard at work all day- sort of.  I have been doing work, but not specifically my "work".  See there are many great things about working from home- ability to take breaks, go to the pool, or run errands whenever I please; ability to work in my pajamas, bathing suit, or bathrobe; ability to sleep in, do how much and what I feel like, and listen to music and sing aloud.  There are many more benefits, however there are also some drawbacks- I get lonely and sometimes stir-crazy all day alone in my apartment, I am in a sedentary position staring at a computer, and the worst one of all...I am at home!  This means I am more tempted to take a Home Improvement break, eat more snacks, and talk on the phone while I should be working.  My biggest frustration and temptation while working at home though is cleanliness.  
I pride myself on the fact that most people that come to our apartment comment on how clean it is and how nice it smells.  I try to have live plants, tablecloths/runners, decorations, air fresheners, ambient lighting- anything to make it feel more like a home than a college apartment.  However sometimes I feel defeated because I can not keep up with the messes that always seem to appear.  
Now first I need to note that I recognize that I am imperfect- I can sleep with my shirt on the back of my chair, I get spots on the mirror, and I am fine to let a crumb drop here or there.  Just to make it clear again, I am not exempting myself from this problem...sometimes I just feel as though I am the only one looking for a solution to this problem.  
Anywho, I know that this is a quirk (but there are worse ones out there I know for sure) but I just function best in a clean and orderly environment.  This makes working from home so difficult because I have a hard time focusing on work sometimes...like this morning.  I could not do anything until I swept and mopped the floor in bathroom.  Of course I couldn't stop there.  Since the mop was out I had to do the kitchen as well.  And everyone knows that mopping the kitchen floor is the last thing you do, so I had to clean off the counters and then all the appliances and scrub out the sink.  This also required that I load and start the dishwasher so I had a sink to use for such cleaning.  It is my dream to not run a full load in the dishwasher every single day- but that isn't happening any time soon so back to the real story.  The kitchen started to look nice so I felt satisfied and was walking back to my room to work...this requires me to walk past the bathroom, which while it had a clean floor, was a still a mess.  So then I started in on the bathroom.  I cleaned the toilet and shower a few days ago in one of these fits, so I really just had to clean the mirrors and counter and sinks.  And now I have made it back to my room...ready to work again but in need of a break and thus the blogging.  
I make this sound like it was an event when in actuality this happens multiple times a week...I really do not know how it gets so dirty so fast in my apartment.  It makes me so ecstatic and terrified to leave in a few weeks- what will become of this place?  But it will no longer be my problem...but the apartment just got remodeled and I feel bad when it gets so disgusting.  
I am forcing myself to do work for another hour or two and then I will take a break to clean out the utility closet that won't even really shut because so much crap is shoved in there- the thing is that it all fits if it would just be put away nicely.
Ah woe is me...the lessons we have to learn in order to grow up a proper adult.  At least my home will be evidence that I care for the things I have...I am thankful that Nicholas and I are largely on the same page as far as cleanliness goes.  He values a clean environment just like me...one more way we fit :)

1 comment:

kellebelle said...

you are a landlord's dream come true! i am with you about functioning better in a clean and orderly environment--it makes such a difference.