Monday, October 4, 2010

Working like a dog

I feel so badly. Yes, badly. Not bad. It is an adverb- describing how I do something, in this case how I feel. Not that I am completely guiltless, but I hate that we always forget our -ly endings on adverbs. Anywho, now that you will be paranoid to speak around me, I will proceed.

I feel so badly for Nicholas. He works all the time. ALL the time. It is not unusual for him to go to work in the morning and not return until 7pm...these are regular days. Good days are days I get to see him during the 6pm hour...they are not so common.

However, this last week has been quarter end at work and he hasn't been coming home until 9pm or so. Now that sounds terrible, right? But if it only happened every once and awhile it wouldn't be that bad...we all have those days, right? Poor Nicholas has those days all the time and I feel terribly about it! Yes, terribly.

And even when he isn't actually at work, he is working! He is working on his lesson for his Sunday school class or studying for the GMAT or working on grad school applications or something. At the off chance he has a free moment it is quickly snatched up by our cat who loves him dearly and wants to play...and if he doesn't "play" (which is really just another word for work in this case) she bites him. Aye aye aye!

I don't know what to do to help. I went in to the office with him on Saturday and helped for a few hours, but he is still there tonight and it is 9:30pm. I try to make sure he doesn't have to worry about many household chores or any of his meals, but still I just don't feel like he ever really gets a break!

And then there is me...I get to sleep in, exercise at my leisure in the mornings, take long showers, run any errands I want, read, snack, even take naps...I am so spoiled! Instead of feeling glad that I have such an enjoyable life, I feel guilty that I am not more overwhelmed and busy...not to say that I don't have anything to do, but I just have so much more freedom with my time than he does. And my guilt only multiplies because I want him to spend his free time with me instead of doing other things that he may want to do...like checking ESPN and such.

There isn't really a point to this post- just somewhere for me to whine and dream of the day when I could actually make Nick's life easier and more fun. Not that that day is going to come anytime soon...he is looking at going back to school for his MBA and will soon be supporting another hungry mouth to feed and naked back to clothe.

I think Nick needs a vacation...the only problem is that it is harder to be gone for a day or two and have work pile up for him. Maybe we could share his job and I could just fill in for him for a few days...accounting can't be that hard, could it?

On a lighter note, it has been absolutely gorgeous weather here the last couple of days and we have even started sleeping with the windows open...pure heaven! Well, at least until 4:45 am when the buses start rolling by...

5 comments:

EVM said...

I'm glad to know you feel strongly about the -ly endings as well. And even though it doesn't seem "fair", don't forget you are busy creating another little person - even when you are sleeping. That's a lot of work, too - just a different kind of work.

GRE said...

Nice blog! I like your writing way. I'm doing practice GMAT here: gmatonlinetest.com . I hope it's useful for GMAT test takers.

kellebelle said...

"It's been a hard day's night, and I've been working like a dog..." :)

Really, though, I completely relate to this and can only offer empathy. I have often called myself a "work widow." Of course, like Erin said, your work is different. And the nature of your work when Tiny arrives will also be long hours! In the meantime, I hope that Nick will have some relief, and I am sure it makes a world of difference to have you to come home to and to support him.

kellebelle said...

Oh, and I forgot to say, hooray for good grammar!!!

nick said...

Thanks for all, all, all the love & support baby. You do way more than you give yourself credit for!!!