Saturday, October 23, 2010

Caramel Corn

What a great treat to ring in the autumn holiday season! And since I have to bring a treat to an activity tonight, I decided to make some this afternoon. I realized while making this delicous treat that not everyone knows the secret to great caramel corn; thus I am going to share the recipe with you :) Actually it is my mom's recipe...


The Great Jeanene's Microwave Caramel Corn

4 qts popped popcorn
1/2 c margarine
1/2 c brown sugar
1/4 c white corn syrup
1/4 -1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla

In a glass bowl, combine margarine, brown sugar, corn syrup, and salt. Microwave on high for 2 minutes. Stir; cook 2 minutes more. Stir; add soda and vanilla. Stir until foamy. Put the popped popcorn into a large brown paper bag...like you get at the grocery store. Pour the caramel over the popcorn in the bag. Fold the top of the bag down a few times and shake well. Put the bag, fold side down, in the microwave and cook on high for 1 1/2 minutes. Shake well; cook 1 1/2 minutes more. Shake well; cook 30 seconds more. Spread on cookie sheets to cool- then enjoy!

This recipe is so simple and makes clean up a breeze....try it!

2 comments:

Emily said...

Thanks Alex! I think I might try this tomorrow! :)

Ben, Amy, Isabelle & Olivia said...

I don't think I have ever actually made it myself...but I've enjoyed eating mom's for years!!! Yum!