Sunday, July 25, 2010

Cheesy Chicken & Broccoli Rice

So I just wanted to share this recipe- not because it is so amazing or tasty, but because it was so easy. (Side note: It wasn't that it wasn't tasty, I am just not the hugest fan of cheese and it was a bit cheesy for my taste...but if you like broccoli cheese soup, this is for you!)

1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces (just fyi- 1 lb. is about 2 good sized breasts)
1 can (14 1/2 oz.) chicken broth
2 cups instant rice, uncooked
1/2 lb. (8 oz.) Velveeta, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 pkg. (10 oz.) frozen chopped broccoli, thawed

First, cook the chicken in a large skillet on medium heat...about 5 minutes or until chicken is done.

Then, stir in broth and bring to a boil.

Next, add the rice, Velveeta, and broccoli and cover. Remove from the heat and let it stand 10 minutes.

Finally, remove the lid after 10 minutes and stir it all together until the cheese is completely melted and mixture is well blended.

That is it! Like I said, nothing too amazing but it was so nice to have a really easy recipe to throw together the other night. And aside from the Velveeta (which I finally found in the store with all the other refrigerated cheese) I usually have all of these ingredients on hand. Plus it was a grain, veggie, protein, and dairy dish all in one! Add some fruit on the side and a piece of toast for Nicholas and it was dinner! Now if only I liked cheese more...

(Side note: I am planning to make it again and leave out the Velveeta...Nick can sprinkle his own cheese on top.)

For dinner today we had lasagna that I made in the crock-pot...again, super easy! I will be posting instructions on that sometime later, so stay tuned! :)

1 comment:

Ben, Amy, Isabelle & Olivia said...

I want to make both of these dishes! And I LOVE that shower gel at mom's!