Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Who knew?

So I always kind of figured I was fairly low-maintenance; I get my hair cut at Great Clips (or wherever else has a coupon!), could care less what brand my jeans are (again, whatever was on clearance!), and all of my hair/body/makeup/etc. products can be bought when I go grocery shopping.

But I of course didn't consider myself completely low-maintenance; I would shower and bathe every day (time and water permitting), I absolutely love fabulous and impractical way-high heels, and I feel completely naked if I go out in public without earrings.

However today I was perusing some blogs...you know when you look at one person's and they have a big long list of links and then those blogs have more links and pretty soon you are reading about some random acquaintance's second cousin's college roommate. (Just a disclaimer: I did actually know most of the people whose blogs I read.)

And I came to the conclusion that I am very low-maintenance, am not as crafty as I like to think I am, and must be really lazy! There are all these, you assumed, regular-joes who have houses that are completely immaculate and look like they were designed on HGTV or something. I mean, I would love for my rooms to look like they were just out of the pages of some magazine but really all I go for is that they are at least cohesive. Our apartment is pretty small and most of our furniture belonged to someone else before we got it...but I have stayed within a color palette. (Even Koshka's tower thing is, albeit the wrong shade, red to match the living room!) But somehow my efforts to create what I thought was a nice looking apartment seem to not measure up.

And then there are the crafters. I have always been told I was crafty- and I like to craft so I figured people were right. I mean, I was really proud of my latest creation...a lightweight black & white quilt/duvet for our bed...and it seemed like such a massive task, but now it doesn't really seem like it is all the impressive.

Where do these people get their time? I don't have a flock of kids yet and I only work part time...shouldn't I have as much time to craft as they do? I guess it just isn't that important to me- I try to make sure we have homemade meals (frequently if not every day) and when Nick gets home I pretty much stop everything and just hang out with him. I am sure he would not be a fan if I decided to try and be a big time crafter anyway- that has got to cost money! I know they all claim to be frugal crafts, but even a can of spray paint here and a yard of fabric there adds up!

Anywho, thanks for listening to my whining- I was going to post of pics of some of my more recent projects, but again it just doesn't seem all that great anymore...maybe tomorrow! :)

7 comments:

Loni said...

Your funny! But I hear ya! All those little things add up to some serious dough. They say we have a debt problem for a reason, right?!
And I would love to see your creations! I think you are a good little crafter!
I enjoyed reading this post!!

Cari-Ann said...

I feel the same way. Sometimes looking at other blogs is depressing but fun at the same time. Let's see your crafts! Maybe I will post my uneven wonky pillows I made for my son so you can feel better!

Callie said...

Whatever, Alex. You are a great crafter. I think all of those ladies saved up all their pictures of their crafts from years ago and are just now posting them. Or else they have enslaved their children to produce all of those things. Enjoy your life. I know I am. Today I was working on a sweater for my new niece (Kara's 2nd child, Lorelai) and realized only after I was working on the final completion stage that I had missed about 9 HUGE rows at the very beginning. There went all that work! :C Oh well. The joy is in the doing (and finishing eventually, but mostly the doing). Keep up the good work!

LWV said...

Worry not...you're great! Besides, it's the relationships that count in the long run, right? (Please post those pictures--I love seeing your creations!)

simply jami said...

I hear ya! This has caused me severe blog paralysis for the past year, so don't let it do the same to you! You are amazing, Alex! Now go post your pictures darn it! ;)

EVM said...

"Comparisons are odious" but so hard to avoid. I think you are amazing, and wish I could keep up with you and all that you do. So there!

kellebelle said...

I have a lot to say on this subject... of course, it has taken me a while to get around to saying it and now Erin beat me to my comment!

Yes, "comparisons are odious!" One of my favorite quotes of all time. This is a huge part of why it took me a long time to decide if I wanted to enter the blogging world. I didn't want to be one more seemingly "perfect" person playing the game. I wanted to be real-- share the ups and downs, capture moments from my life, occasionally wallow, and maybe even inspire someone else... because I know I draw the greatest strength from seeing REAL, struggling people overcome obstacles and find joy in the everyday.

At any rate, all that is to say that I get where you're coming from, but rest assured that you are more than you think you are. I consider you to be tremendously talented and crafty, and I think it is to your credit that it hasn't taken over your life and relationships. Moderation is key and all the "perfect" houses and crafting accomplishments are worthless if they are obtained by sacrificing more important things. You obviously know that and more power to you. Thanks for being one of those real, inspiring people instead of one of those supposedly superhuman ones!

Oh, and please do share your pictures! I'd love to see!