Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Halloween: Part 2






Gosh, am I really so backed up that I am putting up Christmas decorations and blogging about Halloween?  Oh well.

For my work at the Arthur Murray Dance Studio, I had to travel to Las Vegas to compete in an All-Star teaching competition...it consisted of a written exam and some teaching simulations.  I had won in the category of "Rookie" (because I haven't been teaching that long) in our studio, district, and area and so I was on to the finals in Vegas.  It was an all-expense paid trip for me and so I convinced Nicholas to get a ticket and come with me.  It was only two weekends after our first anniversary, so we decided we would celebrate over Halloween weekend in Vegas.

Tara was there, working of course, and my mom joined her to be her helper.  We met them at the Luxor hotel- where the event was held- on Friday when we got in.  Then Nick and I were off to explore.  We walked across the highway to get to an In & Out, and it was worth every step!  That evening we went to the show La Reve at the Wynn; Tara had given us "paper" tickets for our first anniversary (which is "paper").  It was an amazing show with ballroom dancing, 
acrobatics, diving, and much more!  We walked along the strip on the way back and did a bit more exploring.

Saturday morning was my big competition- the written part went really well and I didn't miss a question!  The simulation was a bit trickier and I didn't get through all of my thoughts before they told me time was up...nuts!  At least it was over!  Nick and I did a bit more shopping and such that afternoon and then came back to the ballroom for the Saturday evening session.  We had a great dinner and enjoyed a few social dances as well as lots of great competition and a show by a very handsome Italian (and his partner/wife).  They also announced the winners of the All-Star competition...I did not win any big prize money, however I wasn't expecting any at that point!  We were too pooped out to hang around for the staff party, which can get pretty wild, an
d so we retired to our room.
Sunday we slept in a bit and then got ready to check out.  After we ate breakfast, we were going to just drop our bags in Tara's suite and head off to play again, but when we got there we found 
it a much better idea to just turn on the Broncos and relax.  Tara joined us in a bit and we walked down the strip and found some lunch before Nicholas and I headed home.  
It was perhaps an unconventional way to spend 
Halloween, but it was fun and Nick and I had a fun time in Las Vegas together. (Although I was disappointed with H&M this time.)  Viva Las 
Vegas!

2 comments:

Ben, Amy, Isabelle & Olivia said...

Cute pictures!!! You totally should have won "Rookie of the Year" though...so close! Glad you had a fun getaway!

kellebelle said...

Fun to see the pictures from your trip!