Monday, April 2, 2012

True Story!

I didn't even think to take a picture at the time, so you will just have to take my word on this.

Nick, Leo and I were taking a walk on Sunday morning. We were almost home- as in just a few cars away from ours in the parking lot- when Nick spotted a bird on the hood of a car...it was flailing. Upon closer inspection we noticed that it was stuck in the little crack between the hood of the car and the side/body of the car, about a foot or so down from the windshield on the passenger side.

What to do???

I am no lover of birds, but it isn't in my nature to just pass up an animal in need either. I happened to have the mail in my hands so I tried to nudge it a little with the mail- yep, lots of flailing and it was really stuck. I am pretty sure I jumped each time it started to flap its wings, but I still couldn't think of leaving it.

So I went to my car, found a shirt in the "drop off to goodwill one of these days" bag, and wrapped it around my hand so I could touch the thing...because birds have diseases and stuff, right? Nick commented "Where is a vet student when you need one?" which is so funny because A&M is known for its vet school and we know plenty of vet students around here. I tried to grab the bird- it flailed and I jumped. Then it actually went to the bathroom on the car...guess I wasn't the only one who was nervous!

With a bird audience and Nick restraining Leo from running into the road, I tried again. I'm not sure what my plan was- pull its leg out? The bird flapped and flailed and I jumped...again. Just then I figured out how to get it free- if I could get it to slide up the crack all the way to the windshield then it could fly free...much better plan than just yanking its leg out somehow.

So for the third time I tried to grab the bird; and this time it let me. I carefully slid it up and before you know it the bird was free and flew over to a bush about 10 feet away. I could see as I was doing it that its ankle was red and probably broken, but it flew so I am assuming it is okay.

Anywho, so there you have it! It was quite an amazing thing to encounter and I can honestly say I am not sure if I could do it again, but I just couldn't pass that stupid ugly bird trapped like that! Hopefully that means I have good karma* for awhile :)

*(Side note- I don't...because today my car battery died! Thank you Dad and the nice people at AutoZone who helped me fix it.)*

2 comments:

Loni said...

Nice! Way to go Alee!

I once had a hummingbird that flew into our garage. And it didn't know how to get back out, just kept hitting the window, thinking somehow it will eventually let himself out. Anywho, I felt bad for it. I didn't know how to get it out, so I honestly went into my house, said a prayer, and the next thing I knew I was grabbing the fly-swatter, not to hit it, but I put it in front of this little hummingbird, guiding it backwards, and it slowly backed out of the garage and to freedom! Now I'm not an "animal person", but I just knew I had to help that poor little bird! Funny how things like that can effect us!

Good job!

PS: I love how you got a shirt to put on your hand, before touching the diseased bird! (I would have done the same thing)

KostyaJen said...

That's so crazy! But good for you!