Thursday, March 29, 2012

The War

I feel like I was in a war today...but it was just parenthood. What is the difference again anyway? Leo has recently discovered a serious personality and has opinions on everything. He has learned the word "no" and uses it over and over all day long. My once good eater is totally MIA and I am pretty sure the kid is made up of 80% Fruit Loops. My goals and productivity have totally changed- once upon a time I tried to get a few things done each day...now I just try to survive until bedtime!

I keep trying to remind myself of how sweet a baby he was and that this is surely a phase, but it doesn't make the days go by any faster! And it sure doesn't prevent me from getting my hair pulled or make him not try to jump out of the moving shopping cart. Today just seemed like a long one I guess because it was rainy and so we couldn't kill energy and time at a park like usual. Sigh. Can I just say we are not looking forward to a hot summer? Being able to play outside has been heaven on earth...even if he does get scrapes and ant bites!

But the boy is in bed now- not asleep, but in bed- and I am going to get on my jammies (yes, it is 7:30...but with your baby in bed and your husband gone it isn't like you can go anywhere anyway...may as well be comfy, right?) I am going to pull my hair up into a ponytail, drink a big glass of water, and try to gird up for yet another day of battle. :)

2 comments:

Sarah said...

You can do it, Alex!
Some days are SOO long, even though the years go by rather quickly. I totally feel you. Don't feel badly wishing that some habits/phases will pass, just try and find any good moments you can to enjoy and savor.
Conference right now is a good reminder of how amazing and noble and divine it is to embrace motherhood. Soak in that message. I need it too =)

EVM said...

I really sympathize with this struggle - you probably noticed in Moab that we "battle" every day right now. I wish I had some trick to make it easier, but I don't. If you come up with any good solutions, keep me posted!