Sunday, April 18, 2010

Chutes and Ladders

Okay, so this game was provided in my Primary manual for my lesson today. I printed it out and colored it; I did not make pieces for each child, but instead made a little shield that was our collective piece (our class needs more comparison/competition like a hole in the head). We took turns answering questions and if they answered correctly they got to move ahead. Sounds simple, right?

They LOVED it! I have never seen better behavior or heard more correct answers out of this class. They even wanted to play it again after the prayer while waiting for their parents to pick them up. They were shouting things like "Jeffrey R. Holland has three kids!" and "Satan tempted Jesus to turn stones into bread!" They were so excited that they knew the right answers and I was ecstatic to hear that they heard things during our lesson!

While there is always room for improvement, there was no whining about going home or how boring the lesson was or about not getting treats. I came home feeling like today was a success and knowing that this game is going to reappear in our classroom often :)

8 comments:

nick said...

And when Sis. Vernon comes home feeling successful and happy, I am happy, too :)

Toni Elise said...

That's awesome! You guys missed my last day in the 35th Ward today. I wish you had been there to play CTR chutes and ladders with me. :)

kellebelle said...

Woohoo!! It's so nice to have a home run now and then. I think maybe I still have one of these game boards colored from when I taught CTR 6. Maybe I should dig it out for FHE...

Tee said...

Awesome! Isn't that just the best, when everything works out, and the kids are happy to be involved :)

Katie Lewis said...

Haha. Great job Alex! I'll have to be more careful not to make so many WC's in my life. Haha. :)

alee said...

Yea, WC = wrong choice.

Loni said...

I'm glad you had a successful primary lesson! There were times when I was teaching primary that I thought absolutely nothing was sinking in, it feels so good when you can see that they were actually listening!

Good job! I may have to steal this game in the future!

kellebelle said...

Camilla's class did this lesson on Sunday, and she was distraught when she realized that she had lost her personal paper copy of the game. I reassured her I could get her another "chutes and ladders game" at home. Apparently this one is a big hit!