Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Somethin' 'bout the southlands in the springtime...

Nicholas and I drove home from San Antonio on the scenic route and enjoyed the hills, trees, and blue skies.  Mostly, however we enjoyed the Texas Bluebonnets which were beginning to bloom.  It isn't their peak yet and so they were still a bit sparse, but I made us pull over none the less to take Nick's picture for his first springtime in Texas.  In the spot we stopped, we even caught a few Indian Paintbrush as well (the reddish/orange ones).

For any of you who aren't familiar with bluebonnets, they just grow wild around here.  We just pulled right off the side of the highway and took our pictures with cars whizzing right past us- in fact my parents went by us and honked!  

Even without stopping to see the flowers, our trip took a little longer than expected.  I was not doing my job as a navigator and we missed two turns.  The first time my mom called us and informed us that she had seen us keep going when they turned off in San Marcos- we hurried and flipped a u-turn and met them at the gas station a few minutes later.  However, we failed to get on the right road again and pretty soon Nick asked me "Aren't we supposed to be on 21 because all I see are signs that say 80."  Nuts.  I decided that instead of turn around that I would just take a little old road and catch up to the highway in Bastrop.  We had a great time going through some pretty tiny towns and past quite a few farms and such.  Mostly we just had a great time being together (that is, after I finished the blanket I was crocheting and filed my nails and was actually paying attention!).

We are looking forward to our Easter camping trip where we will return to the hills and trees of Bastrop...and perhaps we will get a few more pictures in Brenham (the bluebonnet capitol of Texas!)

Pictures are 1. Just a very fitting Texas scene...no bluebonnets but I thought it was too perfect of a shot to leave uncaptured 2. Nicholas in the bluebonnets  3. An Indian paintbrush among the bluebonnets (which are the state flower and illegal to pick)  and 4. Nick sitting in the flowers.



4 comments:

Ben, Amy, Isabelle & Olivia said...

I love the pictures!!! Aren't the bluebonnets and Indian paintbrush beautiful? This is my favorite season in the Lone Star State!

Katie Lewis said...

Nice pictures. I wish I was in Texas. It's still snowing off and on like crazy here. Stupid April weather in Utah.

kellebelle said...

I love your title! It immediately made me excited to read the post, which didn't disappoint. :) The flowers are beautiful! I'm so glad you stopped for pictures. Indian paintbrush brings back good memories of Arches trips. (Did Nick tell you?)

But bluebonnets in Texas, cherry blossoms in D.C. ... I'm feeling a little left out in cold, snowy Utah. Send sun!!!

Marae said...

camping?
sounds intense!