Saturday, January 10, 2015

Resurrecting the blog...

Part of my New Year's resolutions was to blog weekly...yes, weekly.  I know that seems like a far cry from the once-every-few-months rate I have been going, but I have been looking back on this blog a lot lately and am feeling sad I don't keep it up.  I look back and remember what Leo was doing when he was June's age...and feel sad that I really won't have much of a record of her.  I figure even if I don't make it every week it will at least be a lot more than I have been doing!  So here it goes...

As I was running this morning I was thinking about how I hope this lingering tiny cold thing I have will go away in time for my first post-June race next month.  It is just a 5k so I am not worried about it as I have already run that far, but I wanted to try to work on my speed.  This annoying little tickle in the back of my throat that makes me feel like I need to clear my throat all the time really bothers me when I run and I haven't been able to push it as much as I would like yet.  Blah blah blah...on to the point...which is then my mind started to wander about all of the things over the years that I have worried about while running....

Will I be able to make it?  Do I look dumb running?  Am I wasting my time?  Am I damaging my knees?  I hope I don't slip and fall on the ice... I wonder if this baby will fall out?  Can I make it the whole way?  What lap am I on?  What will I do when I have to run alone?  Will I be able to keep up with them?  I don't think I can push the stroller the whole way...  I hope a car doesn't run me over...  Is this doing any good?

The list continued for a mile or more and then I wondered if through all of those worries if there was ever a time I had wished I hadn't gone running.  Sure there were plenty of times it was hard to get out the door, but once I got going - and finished especially - was there ever a time I regretting going?  I could remember specific times I had spent worrying, but if I have ever felt sorry that I went I couldn't remember it.  I am always happy that I have gone.  I always feel better after I go.  So let this be where it is carved in stone and a reminder to myself...just go!  Nike was on to something because when I just do it then I feel better afterwards.  I feel healthier and stronger, even if my body isn't looking like what I wish running a few miles would do to it!

No comments: