Sunday, May 23, 2010

My First Tri, er, Biathlon!

Saturday, May 22nd, I participated in my very first biathlon. It was actually a triathlon, however I opted to not do the swim since it was my first time and I wasn't sure what to expect. Lucky for me, they had a division where I could just do the bike and run- and bike and run I did!

Nick took a half day on Friday and we drove over to the race site in New Braunfels, about 2 1/2 hours away from here. We picked up my packet (and boy was I nervous) and then drove to my sister Amy's house in San Antonio which was about 30 minutes south. Belle helped me get ready for the race by giving me a bag with some treats to give me energy. We had a big pasta dinner and played Life before bed. (*Below* Me and April before the race)


Nicholas and I woke way too early for a Saturday morning and headed back up to New Braunfels. When we got there I had to get my body marked (go #309!) and check my bike into "transition". Luckily my friend and coworker, April, had decided to do the biathlon with me- I was glad to have someone else there! (Note: there were a few people from my ward there, however I hadn't really trained with them and they were all doing the swim...but nonetheless it was nice to have more than one familiar face there!)

We headed down to the river to hear the pre-race chat, and then headed back up to transition to grab our bikes while they started the swimmers. After the first swimmer came through transition and headed out on their bike, they let all of us biker/runners go. (*Below* The swim was in the Guadalupe River)

The bike ride was rather hilly, which I hadn't trained on, but wasn't too bad. About 1/4 mile in, my bike chain came off...I hopped off and fixed it and on I went again. It ended up being 13.5 miles that we biked through the hill country, over the Guadalupe River, along the riverbank, had a sharp turn-around, and then headed back. There was one hill that I headed down that was giving me so much speed that I was pretty nervous...it was a long and steep hill. After we did our turn-around, I realized that I was going to have to go back up that hill- yikes! I shifted into the easiest gear and pedaled my heart out; I made it up the whole way! After that I knew I was going to make it. (*Below* Here I go! Me leaving for the biking portion!)

I had pulled ahead of April during the biking and so I decided to wait for her in transition. I parked my bike and was ready to run, but waited about 5 extra minutes for her to catch up. She hurried and parked her bike, and then we were off. (*Below* Me returning from biking)

The run was a 3.3 mile loop around this cute little town called Gruene (pronounced "green"). April was having a really hard time running as she isn't a frequent runner like myself and hadn't trained as long. I wanted to just take off, instead of running in place while she walked, etc., but I remembered how much I hate it when I am running with someone and they leave me...even after I beg them to leave me because I am slower than they are. So I stayed with her- and she pleaded with me to go and told me she hated this and that she was never going to do it again and that it was a dumb idea and all those things. :) (*Below* Running so fast at the finish that I am blurry! See April right behind me?)
I kept running the whole time, getting April to do little bits of running here and there between her walking spells. When we could see the finish line though, I took off and yelled for her to catch me...she picked it up too!

I could see Isabelle cheering me on at the finish and met Amy & Ben, Isabelle, Olivia, Nick, and April's mom & aunt as soon I as crossed the finish line. I was happy to finish, however it was a bit disappointing for me because I hadn't really pushed my body as hard as I could have. I was happy though that I had finished with April :) (*Below* At the finish line with Nicholas)

Afterwards we hung around for a bit, but then headed to grab some lunch at Freddy's (a local burger and custard shop). Nick and I headed home after that and I slept most of the way back to Houston. I was all too happy to shower, and then we had a little rest watching The Office. We had to go to the studio to take down my decorations (more on that later this week) and then we came home and pretty much passed out! I think I was more tired from waking up early than the race! (*Below* April and I were happy to be finished!)


All in all, I am pleased with how things went. So far I am not really sore or anything. I am proud that I did the biking, as it was the new part to me. I am very happy that I made it up the hills (and that I decided to spring for real biker shorts that have the pad in the butt...definitely worth the money!) I am disappointed that I didn't push myself as I could have and for sure have the desire to do it again and beat my own time...and even add in the swimming!

I am not sure if I will do another biathlon or will graduate straight to a triathlon, but there are definitely more races in my future! :) Thanks to everyone for all of the support- especially Nicholas and Isabelle who were definitely two of my biggest fans! And my mom who ran and biked with me to train (and gave me an early birthday present of a helmet!) and Amy who let us crash at her house and fixed a great pre-race dinner! And definitely thanks to April....I wouldn't have signed up alone! :)

5 comments:

Toni Elise said...

Go 309!!! That's awesome!

nick said...

Yes, I'm the one that runs ahead when Alex says "go ahead" and then she doesn't like it...I guess now I know what "just go" really means ;)

Way to go, Alee!!!

kellebelle said...

Way to go!! You are a kind soul to stick with your friend when you could have pushed harder. Sounds like it was a good first race, though, and I admire your determination and dedication in training and executing. Now to breathe, eh? Good job!

Eleisha said...

Way to go, girl!

EVM said...

You rock, Alee! Way to go!