Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Here's to being 23!


The celebration for my birthday started Friday morning when my morning run with my mom ended at Sonic- we got a drink (I tried the new Mango Cool Breeze) and walked home.
Then my mom indulged me and did my Core Rhythms with me.  I had 
to practice because I was teaching my first class 
the next day.

After sweating again, I headed home to shower and get cleaned up.  Then I picked up my mom 
again and we went a got a  pedicure.  
After that we had some nachos at McAllisters and  rented a movie from Redbox.  I headed home to craft until Nicholas got home.

When Nick got home, we made a frozen pizza and watched "He's Just Not That Into You".  It was a cute enough movie.  Then we headed to bed early so I could get up to teach.

Saturday morning came and I was very nervous for my first class.  I had about a dozen people show up for the first class and although I wasn't perfect, I don't think anyone noticed.  Of course, they didn't know what to expect!  I think it was harder than most people were expecting, but it went well.

After coming home to Nicholas and some donuts, I took a nice hot bath.  I got ready and curled my hair for my birthday date that evening.

We went to PF Changs; I had never been there.  Nick had the Almond Cashew Chicken and I had the Pepper Steak- they were both delicious!  We finished off with Banana Spring Rolls which I have been hearing about for years from my sister Amy.
Then we headed downtown to the House of Blues.  Better Than Ezra, Nick's favorite band, was in Houston that night and we were excited to have tickets.  The opening acts were pretty decent and then BTE came on stage...it was a great concert.
They sang a good mix of stuff- slow and fast, old and new.  It was really fun and although I had to dodge a crazy dancer during most of the show, it couldn't have been a better night.
We got home around 1am, which made for a really early morning on Sunday.  We went to church and I took treats to my primary class to celebrate my birthday.  They were fairly well behaved and we memorized a whole scripture...not too bad!
We had dinner at my parents' home....meatballs, mashed potatoes & gravy, and creamed corn- my absolute favorite dinner!  Nick and I were exhausted so we headed home to take a nap before we continued the celebration.
My parents came over later in the evening and we had my birthday cake (a pistachio Next Best Thing To Robert Redford for any of you who know what that is!) and opened presents.  Nick had let me open one present earlier in the day...it was a grapefruit.  So I was very excited to find that one of my real presents that evening was some grapefruit spoons!  How easy they are to eat now!  I got lots of things that I have been wanting for awhile and a few surprises too.  It was a great birthday and I am excited to have another one next year!

5 comments:

Ben, Amy, Isabelle & Olivia said...

I'm glad it was a great birthday! You deserve it! Weren't the banana-spring rolls yummy?! I've only had them just the one time but they were good enough I remember them!!!

Katie Lewis said...

Aaaagh! I can't believe I missed your birthday! Happy happy birthday Alex dear! I'm glad to see you had fun with Nick and your family. I was running errands today and I kept thinking about you and missing you and wishing we lived closer so we could play. I hope we get to see you for Thanksgiving if you come up. Okay, well, happy birthday once again. There just might be a late surprise coming in the mail now. :)

Unknown said...

You have never had PF Changs before? MY WORD! I would have sent you a gift card!!! It's my fave!!! Glad you had a nice bday... :)

Tee said...

Sounds like a great time! You folks have any plans to come to Colorado any time soon? We all need to meet the next time you're here.

kellebelle said...

I never knew grapefruit spoons existed until someone gave us some as a wedding gift, but they have proven super useful. My girls love to use them, too. Glad it was a happy day/weekend!