Monday, December 12, 2011

Today's Top 5

It was just over a year ago when I called it quits from my "day job". While I enjoyed teaching dance, and maybe more than that making friendships with the students and instructors, I knew that my place was at home once our little boy entered the world. I can remember declaring I would be everything from a veterinarian to a criminal profiler for the FBI...little did I know that what I wanted to be most was a mother!

This past weekend we went back to Houston for an open house in honor of two of my friends and coworkers at the studio who had wed recently. I had a chance to see many students that I hadn't seen in a long time and show off my new 25 pounds of perfection (no, not my thighs...Leo of course!) Most of them inquired on how I liked being a mom and staying at home. While I immediately could honestly respond that I loved it, it gave me a chance to reflect a bit about my transition.

Staying at home all day has been an adjustment. Sometimes it is hard- in spite of my sociological studies that have taught me otherwise- to feel like my contribution is as worthy as Nick's. Sometimes I feel like I am wasting a perfectly capable brain that could be conducting brain surgery because all I've done that day is laundry. Maybe my parents and teachers did too good of a job because I know that I could do more than sing Old McDonald 800 times a day...and with the world facing one crisis after another I often feel guilty that I am not doing more to help. However in spite of all of those things that run through my head all the time, I am so glad and thankful that I get to be a stay-at-home mother...at least for now!

It takes a lot of energy and organization to run a household and raise a child! And I know that I am doing the most important thing I can be doing; I love Leo to death and am so happy that I get to spend every day with him. Now granted I have and will complain about most of the following, however for today these are, in random order, my top 5 things I love about staying at home with Leo. (That was a lot longer preface than I was intending...maybe Nick's wordiness is rubbing off on me!)

5. We get to play all day! I get to tickle him and roll on the floor with him...he gives me kisses and mimics my words. Granted we have a rough schedule- cleaning on Mondays and Fridays, errands from 11-1, etc.- but really we just get to play all day long. We can take off to the park if we want or go on a walk around the block...we can watch Baby Einstein (again) or read books...we live purely on our whims and it is wonderful!

4. I love watching him develop- as the old adage states, it goes by so fast and I am so happy that I get to see all of his little milestones. I rarely miss an event like his first steps or first words. And it is so exciting to see how he changes every single day! Oh and there is nothing better than seeing his big toothy grin when he laughs!

3. I have no uniform! Some days I don't make it out of sweats, my make up doesn't get done, and my hair is in a wet bun all day long...and it is totally fine! Leo doesn't care! I get to be comfy all day, every day while I make the world go around for two cute boys.

2. I know everything about Leo...and Nick for that matter. I know what they eat, when they sleep, and if they spill on their shirt. It is so great to know how every nap goes and how long his nose has been running; I feel so close to Nicholas and Leo because I know everything about them!

1. I do what I want, when I want...sort of. There are a couple blissful hours each night when Nick is studying and Leo is sleeping that I can do whatever I want. Tonight I made a craft and then took a bath. Some days I watch Friends reruns and crochet. It doesn't really matter- the point is that I am not worrying about an exam or a problem at work. And yes, motherhood is a 24/7 job (hence the "sort of" above) but in general I am my own boss! It doesn't get me out of work, but it allows me to do it on my own terms :)

So there you go. Like I said, I know that I have complained about spending the day in sweats or knowing what is in every diaper, but mostly I really love it. I love my decision to stay at home and am grateful for Nicholas who is supportive of that. I am super grateful that I get to have an absolute doll for a son and that I really get to enjoy every little bit of him each day! :)

6 comments:

nick said...

I like this post

Katie Lewis said...

amen. :)

Lisa Lou said...

I just finished reading a book by Dr. Laura Schlessinger called "In praise of the stay-at-home mom" or something like that. It was a gem and even though not religious at all, I felt the Spirit whisper to me that there was a lot of truth in that book. I think you'd really like it.

Lisa Lou said...

(Um, I just realized you might not know who this is.... I'm Katie's sister-in-law, Bryan's sister...)

Mom/Yvonne said...

I can truly say that is was fantastic to see you and Nick at the studio AND to meet Leo in the flesh! You're such a good mommy, Alex. Nick and Leo are so LUCKY!

kellebelle said...

Love this post! And I definitely get that sense (not just through this post, but throughout the past year) that you enjoy being home with Leo. You're a good mommy and he and Nick are lucky to have you!