Friday, May 20, 2011

The mom chop...and other random thoughts

I realize I mostly blog about Leo...and as it should be because he is by far the cutest and most exciting thing happening in our home. But occasionally I do have a thought or two that isn't all about him (gasp) so here it goes.

I really don't want to get the mom chop. What is the mom chop you might ask. Well, it is the haircut lots of moms get a few months after they have a baby...you know when they realize that their hair ends up in a ponytail 95% of the time anyway and baby is starting to actually grab (and hold on to) things. There is nothing wrong with the mom chop. There is nothing wrong with short hair. I have had short hair and I liked it. However I have also had long(er) hair and I liked it too...and it has been awhile and I really want to let my hair grow right now.

The problem is that I sweat when I run and thus I have to wash my hair daily. Fine, no big deal...I like to wash it daily. But then comes the problem...do I dry it just so I can pull it up? It seems so dumb and a huge waste of time, however pulling up wet hair just doesn't feel that great and makes me feel like I never really got ready for the day. Plus we live in a hot and humid environment that makes drying hair take forever and the possibility of a ponytail during the day really slim. I thought about bangs- then at least my ponytail would look a little more like a style instead of me just being hot and tired- but I am not really sure that is the answer. So for now I am sticking with what I have but looking for something different.

On an equally vain note, I am just a mere 10 pounds from my pre-pregnancy weight! I know they will be the hardest 10 pounds to loose, but I am feeling optimistic since it has only been about 4 months since Leo was born (4 months next Thursday...can you believe it?) Getting back to jogging right away has been great- and hard of course- and Leo loves his time outdoors in the mornings...he knows that morning stroller ride and always takes a little nap. My old shorts and capris still don't fit though, so I am not sure what I am going to be wearing this summer because I hate to buy shorts that I hope don't fit soon...but it is getting so hot that I might have to give in a buy a bigger size anyway. Woe is me.

I bought some capri leggings and even though I hate them, I love them. I am not a legging fan at all, however they are so comfortable that I can already tell I will be having a little love affair with them this summer. Don't worry, I am not getting a minivan or wearing crocs anytime soon.

And I just have to say that I really have a great husband. Nicholas is a fabulous dad and Leo loves him. And I love that Leo loves him and he loves Leo; Nick is great to rock him to sleep or change his diaper or get up in the night with him. He is a great helper with Leo :) He also never shys away from doing dishes or cleaning up Koshka's litter box or various other chores. And of course he is always funny and fun to be around- we love him so much! Leo and I can't wait for him to get home every day!

The moving bug has hit me and I am already itching to take the pictures off the walls and box up non essentials. Then I wonder if it would really be worth it to live in a land of boxes and no decorations and stuff for over a month...and by then Leo has woken up and my opportunity is gone anyway. But I want to...I could clean out a closet for fun any day of the week and moving is going to be one big party for me. I am sure I will hate it when it comes, but I love going through things and cleaning out and such. So save your moving boxes because we will be needing them soon!

I guess I should go do something more productive while Leo is actually sleeping without being held- he prefers to be held to nap and I prefer to hold him so nothing gets done around here! Oh well, they are only little once, right? He turns 4 months next Thursday and we have a doctor appointment that morning for shots and such. He has been having some diaper issues (anyone else's baby go from multiple dirty diapers a day to once a week? I am concerned but the doctor doesn't seem to be...) that I definitely want to chat about when we are there and I know they are going to talk to us about starting food. Can it be that time already? I am in no hurry to start food...he sleeps through the night (about 10-7, fairly regularly) and is happy and is definitely thriving so I am thinking we won't start until more like 6 months. I am already feeling sad about nursing him less! Sure it is inconvenient sometimes, but I love nursing Leo and dread the day that we are done.

Okay, for real now...adios!

3 comments:

CK Morgan said...

nice update! Sounds like Leo is being good to you. Lorelai still doesn't sleep through the night like that and she will be 11 months next week. We never started our kids on any food until 6 months (I think with Lorelai we did 5 months but she wasn't/isn't enjoyable to nurse). I love nursing too and didn't want to give it up. Don't feel like you need to rush anything!

kellebelle said...

Love hearing the latest! I need to channel you as I try to get us all ready to move. There is so much to do and I am ready to be ready to go... even though I don't know where we are going yet. (I actually don't mind the work, it's just hard to accomplish in between all the regular stuff that has to be done.)

Anyhow, I'm glad you're enjoying your time with Leo--nursing, napping, jogging, whatever--and that Nick is taking good care of you two, too! Enjoy these happy days! :)

April said...

Well I really liked your short hair. I wish I could cut mine off. Someday... Really enjoyed stopping by your place. Chris was really excited to meet Leo and talk with Nick about his MBA. Hope we meet up again soon!