Tuesday, March 3, 2009

This post is worthwhile even though it doesn't have a picture!

I have noticed that not very many people care about my posts if they do not include a picture.  Well, sorry- this post doesn't have a picture but it will include a good recipe so keep reading!

February is over and I am still making progress on my New Year's resolutions.  I haven't really taken any great photos, but I have been working towards the half marathon in March, teaching primary (which I definitely count as service), and trying new recipes.  

February was a bit of a set back for me in the running category- I caught a cold and took a few days off from running which always makes it harder to start up again.  However Nicholas and I ran 11.5 miles last Saturday and I am sure that I will at least be able to finish the race- it might not be quick enough to meet Nick's goal, but I will finish and that was all my goal entailed!  

I was called to teach the 7B primary class...so every Sunday I have 3-7 seven year olds.  It actually hasn't been as terrible as I was anticipating, but I am missing Sunday School about the D&C this year.  The children are terribly cute though and say and do the funniest things.  Plus I think I enjoy singing time more than they do!  Nonetheless, I count this as service and thus it is helping me fulfill my goal.

Recipes- I have been trying lots of them it seems lately!  Probably not, but it seems like I am cooking more often these days.  Anywho, I tried a recipe for what is supposed to be Cafe Rio's house dressing and it was delicious!  It was more work than I would usually do for a salad dressing, but it wasn't that hard (just included buying weird things like tomatillos and jalapenos that I don't usually have on hand!).  I liked it on a salad alright but my favorite way to eat it was as a dip for tortilla chips!  So without further ado, here is the recipe- try it out!

CAFE RIO TOMATILLO DRESSING

1 pkg Hidden Valley Buttermilk Ranch Dressing mix
1 C buttermilk
1 C mayo
1-2 tomatillos, blanched (I used 2)
1/2-1 clove garlic, minced
1/2-1/3 bunch cilantro, chopped (I would start with 1/3 of the bunch at most)
1/2 tsp lime juice (I just squeezed a half a lime in)
1 small jalapeno, seeds removed (don't touch the seeds- their oil burns!)

Blend all ingredients together in the blender until well mixed.  Let it sit in the refrigerator for a few hours before serving for best taste.

That is all!  Enjoy it!

6 comments:

Katie Lewis said...

how do you blanch the tomatillos?

Alex Christensen said...

Get some water boiling- place the tomatillos in the boiling water for about 2 minutes- take them out and let them sit in cold water for a minute or two.

I have heard that it isn't imperative to blanch them, but it always makes the vegetable more crisp yet soft (I do it to bell peppers when I stuff them to make them better :) )

Ben, Amy, Isabelle & Olivia said...

I thought the dressing was awesome!!! Can you make some more for Belle's party in a couple weeks? I think we are going to do the sweet pork again!

kellebelle said...

Thanks for sharing. I'll have to try this sometime. I've made copycat Cafe Rio pork, but not the dressing. What kind of filling do you do for your stuffed peppers?

I'm glad you told more about your Primary class, too. I meant to ask you after you mentioned it in another post and forgot. Cadence is a CTR 7. Wish you were her teacher! (No offense to her actual teachers. :)) Nick, do you have a calling?

Tee said...

I count primary as service too!! Absolutely! The Cafe Rio dip sounds good :) Good for you to try out new recipes :)

alee said...

I just made this again today and it was even better- I started out with less cilantro and it really let me taste the other flavors more! :)