Sunday, January 22, 2012

New Year's Resolutions

So I made some resolutions and I feel like they may need a little explaining: this year my resolutions are as follows:

1. Act, or act more quickly, on good intentions

I have no shortage of good ideas...it is in my genes after all...however I lack follow through a lot of times. I usually let the fact that it would be a little bit difficult prevent me from doing a lot of things- I mean who really wants to take their walking child to Hobby Lobby? However a lot of my good ideas are about helping others yet I usually find an excuse to not...they might think I am too forward or something. And by the time I talk myself into doing what I originally had thought, someone else has met their need or the need as passed or something like that. I want to try harder this year to actually go out of my comfort zone to do the things I think. Yikes.

2. Be nicer to myself

I think any mom or wife could agree with the fact that it is a lot easier to be nicer to others than yourself sometimes...I mean I would never tell the checker at HEB that she was too chubby or lazy. I would never tell Leo he wasn't able to do something or make him eat junk because I am too tired to prepare something nutritious and healthy or skip lotioning him after his bath because I'm in a hurry. You get the idea. So I want to take a few minutes to be nicer to myself every day, in thought and deed, because a happy momma is a productive and loving momma! Everybody suffers when I am cranky for sure :)

3. Read some

No lofty goal here, just that I want to read some. I have enjoyed reading a few books this past year that in general I probably wouldn't have taken the time to read...you know, just for enjoyment. So I don't have a list of books or a numerical goal or anything, just the fact that I want to try and keep up reading- like have something I am reading at all times, even if it is only for five minutes at a time and every other day. :)

So there you go...my official attempts to become a better person this year. Of course there is always the "lose x pounds" and such, but these are the ones I am actually going to be accountable for this year!

As way of information, Nick's resolutions were to actually read scriptures daily & record progress and to be less sarcastic & make fewer jokes about others. Leo's resolutions were to learn to play nicely with others (so far we haven't had a ton of exposure to other kids...no wonder he is so healthy!) and to peacefully coexist with Koshka (our cat). Nicholas and Leo made a bonus/extra credit resolution together to teach/learn how to throw a spiral with a football...yes it is a lofty goal, but Leo's throws with his right hand currently have a lot of backspin on them so you never know! :)

Happy New Year!


3 comments:

Katie Lewis said...

Well, they sound like good goals! Good luck!

kellebelle said...

I agree, those are good goals. I hope it makes for a happy year for you!

And good luck to Nick and Leo on their bonus resolution! Whether or not Leo masters a spiral this year, I'm sure you'll have some good quality time together trying. :)

nick said...

Well, I guess I'm accountable to everyone, too, now that mine are posted ;)